Saturday, January 13, 2007

Bar #10 - Mr. Bing's


After slices of Pizza, Molly, Josh and I decided to start the night off on the edge of North Beach, and work our way back down towards the Tenderloin. I'd had my eye on Mr. Bings for a while, frankly because it has such a damn catchy name. The place always seemed to be a locals joint to me, with older men slumped over half full glasses of cheap whiskey every time I peeked through the windows. It certainly had all of that ambiance in reality, but the 6:30 friday night crowd was a bit more racuous than that.

The space inside is pretty tight, and hasn't been redone since it opened 40 some years ago. There is basically a large triangular bar, with enough room between the bar and the walls for a stool and small aisle. It was packed when we arrived, which only takes about 20 people. The service was good, and being right on Columbus, it was nice to be able to look out the large windows and watch the goings-on. Overall, it was a pretty typical dive, but I would stop in again for a drink if it wasn't crowded.

Mr. Bing's Cocktail Lounge, 201 Columbus Avenue

No comments: