Saturday, January 6, 2007

Bar #8 - Fuse


50 bars in 50 weeks? What about 50 bars in one week?! We really got to way more bars than I would ever have imagined for the first night. And the fact that I'm alive and typing the next morning (well, afternoon) is really quite amazing to me.

The final (sort of) bar for the evening was Fuse, directly across the street from the Sake Lab. From the outside, the bar seemed like it would be some kind of hipster hangout, but inside it was the clearly the seediest place we'd been in. I literally had to wade thru the bathroom! Everyone was trashed at this point; Molly was slurring her speech and pushed her mostly full cosmo over my way, Paul was beginning to look green and Melissa started the 'who wants to share a cab' dialog. Josh and I seemed to be holding up the best, but I was winding down too. Anway, there was nothing interesting about this place. It had the character of a bar in a spring break city, just there to make a buck without creating any waves.

Molly, Melissa and Paul decided to head out, but Josh and I were in the middle of a conversation, so we decided we'd head next door to the Crow Bar for one last pint. As we've been to the Crow Bar tons of times, we can't count it as bar #9, but I for one was ready to go someplace familiar with a decent jukebox. North Beach was turning into the regular 1:00am 'police state' as we staggered down to our final destination. There were paddywagons all over the place, cops on motorcycles, cops on the corners, cops in parked cop cars. I would have taken a few photos, but a friend of ours got taken to the drunk tank once for less, so we got off the sidewalk and into the bar quickly before we got caught up in something. We had one last drink and closed the place down.

8 new bars on the first night! It looks like 50 will be a piece of cake!

Last ones standing



Fuse, 493 Broadway

3 comments:

Aaron Starner said...

So, if 50's gonna be easy, make it 100, sissy.
And post links to maps, instead of just the text addresses.

Unknown said...

The maps is a great idea. You should make one map that has each bar plotted on it and your path. Like this: http://publicdrinkingtour.com/

I will try and set something up, if you are interested.

laysh said...

Well, the problem with the map idea is that it takes more 'work'. Realistically, this blog will only be read by a few friends, who either know where these bars are anyway or don't live in SF. Maybe if I get bored and feel motivated I'll do some when there is more data to chart.