Sunday, February 4, 2007

Bar #14 - Shanghai Kelly's Saloon



About half way here on the bus, I came to the realization that I had forgotten my camera (all photos from here on courtesy of the internets...until I can replace them with my own). So began night number three of the bar hop. Our typical nights out generally focus on the Tenderloin and lower Polk Street. We don't often make it past Broadway, so the motivation for the night became upper Polk Street and Van Ness. I met up with Molly, Josh and Melissa for dinner first at Nick's Crispy Tacos, then we sauntered across the street to Shanghai Kelley's Saloon. This was another bar that I'd been by hundreds of times and always had a hankering to check out. Turns out the place is a pretty basic sports bar with a clear focus on Pittsburgh sports.

The space is vintage sports bar, but it does have a fair amount of small tables and plenty of windows to watch the street bustle, so it wasn't too bad. Missy said it "smells like a saloon". It had your typical San Francisco tap selection, which I'm finding is nearly always a variation of: Sierra Nevada (or Anchor Steam), Stella Artois, Guinness Stout, Widmir Hefeweisen and Fat Tire. Not that I'm complaining, I do like most of those beers, but come on, mix it up a little! Anyway, one drink and on to the next bar.


Shanghai Kelly's Saloon, 2064 Polk Street

No comments: